Shipping an SUV - What you need to know
Shipping an SUV across the country can be quite a daunting task, whether you are relocating to another state or buying a car from a different region. However, with the right information and planning, you can make the process smoother and less stressful. In this article, we will cover everything you need to know about shipping an SUV across the country, including the various types of SUVs and the most efficient mode of transportation.
SUVs come in different shapes and sizes, and each model has its unique features and shipping requirements. The four main categories of SUVs are as follows:
- Small SUVs: Also known as crossovers, these are the smallest SUVs and are ideal for city driving due to their car-like driving experience. Examples include the Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5, and Toyota RAV4.
- Mid-Size SUVs: These SUVs are perfect for families as they offer more interior space than small SUVs. Examples include the Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota Highlander, and Kia Telluride.
- Full-Size SUVs: These are the largest SUVs with the most interior space and are ideal for families with multiple children or for towing trailers. Examples include the Chevrolet Suburban, Ford Expedition, and GMC Yukon.
- Luxury SUVs: These are high-end SUVs that offer premium features and a luxurious driving experience. They can be any size, from small to large. Examples include the Audi Q7, BMW X5, and Mercedes-Benz GLE.
Before shipping your SUV, there are several things you should do to prepare it for transportation:
- Clean the SUV: Thoroughly clean your SUV both inside and out. This helps to spot any damages that may occur during shipping.
- Remove personal items: Remove all personal items from your SUV, including GPS devices, toll tags, and other accessories.
- Check for damages: Take pictures of your SUV from all angles to document any pre-existing damages. This helps you file a claim if any damage occurs during shipping.
- Check your SUV's fluid levels: Ensure your SUV's fluid levels are topped off, including oil, coolant, and brake fluid.
There are two primary methods for shipping an SUV across the country: open transport and enclosed transport.
- Open transport: This is the most common method for shipping an SUV. Your SUV will be loaded onto an open trailer with other vehicles. Although this method is less expensive, your SUV will be exposed to the elements during transport.
- Enclosed transport: This method is more expensive but provides greater protection for your SUV. Your SUV will be loaded into an enclosed trailer, protecting it from the elements and road debris.
When choosing a transport company, it is essential to do your research. Look for a reputable company that has experience in transporting SUVs. Check the company's insurance coverage to ensure your SUV is fully covered in case of any damages during the shipping process.
Timing is also essential when shipping your SUV. Plan ahead and allow enough time to find the right transport company and schedule the shipment. Ask the transport company for an estimated delivery time and track your SUV's progress throughout the shipping process.
When your SUV arrives at its destination, inspect it thoroughly to ensure it arrived in the same condition it was shipped in. If there are any damages, document them and file a claim with the transport company's insurance.
In conclusion, shipping an SUV across the country can be a smooth and stress-free process with proper planning and preparation. Whether you own a small SUV or a luxury SUV, make sure you clean it thoroughly, remove personal items, and check its fluid levels before shipping. Research and choose a reputable transport company with experience in transporting SUVs. By following these tips, you can ensure that your SUV arrives safely and securely at its destination.